McKeesport – April 20, 2020 – State Sen. Jim Brewster (D-Allegheny/Westmoreland) said today that the state has opened a new way to access wine and spirits and activated a website that allows independent contractors and gig workers to file for unemployment compensation.
Brewster serves as Democratic chair of the Senate Law and Justice Committee. The committee is responsible for law and policy changes related to the state’s liquor distribution system. On Saturday evening, the state’s Liquor Control Board (LCB) announced that wine and spirits sales will be available for curbside pickup.
“The LCB has tried to increase access to wine and spirits as an initial step in re-engagement in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Brewster said. “While not at full capacity, opening up curbside service is a positive move as we continue to social distance, protect our workers and our families.”
According to the LCB, there are restrictions associated with the curbside service. These include:
- Curbside pickup is available certain stores. Each store will take a limited number of orders by phone from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., or until the store reaches the maximum number of orders it can fulfill that day, Monday through Saturday, starting on Monday, April 20, 2020.
- Curbside pickup orders will be limited to one order of no more than six bottles. Only one order will be accepted per caller, per store, per day. Callers will be guided by store staff through products available to purchase at each location.
- Payment by credit card will be required by phone, and all curbside pickup sales are final (no returns).
The wine and spirit stores that will be open for curbside service in or near Brewster’s district include:
- The Waterworks 974 Freeport Road Pittsburgh, PA 15238 412-784-5800
- Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection #0227 3845 Northern Pike Monroeville, PA 15146 412-380-1308
- Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection #0245 330 E. Waterfront Drive Homestead, PA 15120 412-464-2574
- Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection #0284 Bill Green’s Shopping Center 10 Old Clairton Road Pittsburgh, PA 15236 412-650-8263
- Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection #9211 Village Square Mall 5000 Oxford Drive Bethel Park, PA 15102 412-851-0403
- Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection #6518 Norwin Hills Shopping Center 8775 Norwin Ave., Ste. 36 Irwin, PA 15642 724-861-4784
- Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection #6526 109 Blue Spruce Way Murrysville, PA 15668 724-519-7336
Brewster said that the LCB has asked for patience if customers are unable to get through on phone when calling in an order. He said the LCB is optimistic that orders can be filled, and the curbside pickup service will increase in the near future.
Brewster provided a link were more information about the curbside pickup can be found: https://www.lcb.pa.gov/Consumers/Documents/Curbside%20Pickup%20Store%20List%2004182020.pdf
Brewster also said that in addition to the new curbside liquor distribution service, the state has also opened a portal for independent contractors and gig worker can file pandemic-related claims. Under the federal CARES ACT, workers who had previously been ineligible for unemployment compensation are eligible to file claims.
More information is available at https://www.uc.pa.gov/Pages/covid19.aspx under the CARES Act page.